Jami's Classic Granola
(This is great over yogurt or with milk as a cold cereal.)
- 7.5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 2.5 cups unsweetened coconut (I buy "wide slice" and "thread" from my local Sprouts store and do half and half)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (heated in the microwave until liquid, about 30 seconds)
- 3/4 cup high-quality honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2. Mix well all the ingredients but the coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
3. In a small, separate bowl mix the coconut oil, honey and vanilla together and pour over the granola mixture. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Spread mixture out on two rimmed baking sheets (half sheet pans) lined with parchment paper or silpat liners.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring mixture on each pan and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until a light golden brown. Be careful to watch the granola: it will quickly turn from golden to burnt and will continue to cook as it cools when you take it out of the oven. Mixture will be moist when it comes out of the oven but will crisp and clump as it cools. Keeps for 1-2 weeks in an airtight container.
A couple of serving ideas:
Mash a banana up with some plain Greek yogurt, and sprinkle this deliciousness on top.
Serve with milk (we do whole around here!) and a handful of fresh raspberries or blueberries.
Thanks to Mel at Mel's Kitchen Cafe for the inspiration recipe, which can be found at this link: