3 Treats - Here are 3 of my favorite Halloween/Fall treat recipes!
Witch fingers (a.k.a. Spookified Mall Pretzels) - makes 36 knobbly chewy fingers
|Pretzel witch fingers - fresh out of the coven, uh, I mean oven. ;)|
- 1 heaping TBL. active dry yeast
- 2 TBL. brown sugar
- 1 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 TBL. baking soda
- Garlic salt
- Sliced almonds
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the 1 1/2 cups warm water, yeast, sugar and salt. Stir and let dissolve for a few minutes.
2. When dissolved, stir in 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 cup bread flour. Start kneading dough, adding the rest of all-purpose flour as needed.
3. Knead dough for 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
4. Put dough in a large bowl that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Flip the dough so it is covered on both sides. Cover bowl with saran wrap and let rise until double ~1 hour.
5. 15 minutes before you are ready to work with dough, dissolve the 2 TBL. baking soda in 2 cups of warm water. Clean and prepare a surface to work with the dough. Preheat the oven to 450*F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
6. When dough is done rising, dump onto the clean surface. Cut into 36 pieces.
7. Roll each piece in between your fingers so as to give a long bumpy appearance. Dip in soda water before placing on greased baking sheet. Add a sliced almond at the top end. Hocuspokus - a witch finger has magically appeared!
8. When baking sheet is full of pretzel fingers, put in oven for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown. When done, brush with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Serve with fresh spinach dip!
*You can add a bit of green food coloring to the dough while you are kneading it if that sort of thing suits your fancy.
*These are also very delicious sprinkled with sea salt and rosemary.
*If you are craving the sweet version of these, brush them with butter and roll them in cinnamon sugar. Serve with icing (dyed green, red or purple if you wish!)
Mom's Caramel Popcorn
- 2 cubes butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup Karo syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 bags microwave popcorn
- 2 cups stick pretzels
- 1-2 cups candy corn and/or peanut m&m's (Halloween colors!)
2. Remove from heat and add vanilla and soda.
3. In a large bowl mic popped popcorn with kernels removed, pretzels, and candy.
4. Pour caramel over popcorn and stir until coated.
5. Lay out on foil to cool.
Squire's Award-Winning "Punkin" Squares :)
- 1 pkg. yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 5 TBL. melted butter
- 3 cups - one 30oz. can of Libby's pumpkin pie mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten until smooth using a fork
- 1 cup yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 TBL. butter
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tricks - watch these magical images float around in their boxes.
A clip from the hilarious classic Young Frankenstein:
And a fantastic Halloween light show - thanks to Kellie for the facebook share:
1 Rockin' Halloween Playlist
Bust out your cauldrons and cook to this music: