"So, do you just feel like a total cow?!"
At first I was a little hurt, thinking she was referring to my not-quite-pre-pregnant body. But, when I realized she was actually referring to my milk supply I laughed,
"It's a little crazy at the beginning when your body hasn't regulated yet, but it's really not that bad," I told her.
Later, I took some time to ponder her comment and my initial response and have come to the firm conclusion that being a nursing mamma is not just "not that bad", it is awesome. Here are ten reasons why I love nursing:
- No microwave, bottle or other accessories needed. I'm always ready to go. It really is the ultimate "fast" food.
- I have a legitimate excuse to just relax and cuddle with my baby for a half hour at least every few hours.
- Every wet and poopey diaper is a personal accomplishment. As is every ounce gained.
- With an extra 500 calories at my disposal I have two very satisfying options: I can eat pretty much whatever I like and remain at an equilibrium with my weight - or just eat normally and shed my baby weight with ease.
- Squire changes more of those "personal accomplishments" for Lincoln at night, because, well - I'm the one who has to stay up nursing! ;)
- I love knowing I am the personal cause of my little baby's contented sighs, smiles and coos. Milk-dribbled baby faces are the best!
- I will be stressed and uptight, but within a minute of getting that good latch, I feel completely relaxed. Thank you, Oxytocin!
- The nutrition provided by breast milk cannot be beat, not for any price. . . yet, it's FREE!
- In feeding my son, not only do I provide him with sustenance, I give the gift of myself.
- While I have to share him with the world now that he isn't hiding in my belly, nursing him means he will always come back to me. I get to keep him to myself for at least a little while longer.